A Tricky Christmas Ghost
I found myself wide awake Christmas morning about 2am. I tossed and turned before finally giving up on getting back to sleep. I quietly got out of bed and closed the door behind me as I left the bedroom. My hope was I would sit at the dining table and scan through some social media and get sleepy again.
As I sat there scanning, without the TV on, I could hear the different clocks in the house ticking away. I was there for about 10 minutes when I started hearing a tapping coming from the living room. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... I stopped looking at my phone and listened to the odd tapping. It seemed to be coming from one of the area rug’s the are covering the hardwood floors. The taps seemed deliberate and fairly loud.
Obviously it was happening in an area that was out my sight. Tap, tap, tap, so I eased out of my chair and crept toward the sound. I eased into the living area to the point I was almost able to see the spot and I stopped. Tap, tap, tap I needed to take only one more step to get a visual. Tap, tap, step...Yep, it stopped the second I came into view. I stood there for a moment to give it a chance to pick up again.
It kind of frustrated me stopping like that. I decided to have a seat in the living room on our loveseat. I patiently waited for the tapping to continue. After 10 minutes I decided it had done all it was going to do. I grabbed the remote and turned the TV on low in hopes of getting sleepy. As I sat there, scanning channels I suddenly heard something.
The loveseat I was setting in was only a foot or so inside the living room. I was unable to see the whole dining area. Tink, tink, tink, the tapping had turned into a tink and was coming from the window directly behind the dining chair I had previously been seated. It had the exact same timing and loudness as the tapping that came from the living area that I now sat in.
I shook my head and grinned listening to the tink, tink, tink. I knew what was going to happen as soon as I stood up and took one step. So, I had an idea, I grabbed the remote and readied myself with the mute button. Tink, tink, tink, MUTE, tink... HA I caught it doing one more, but it quit after the last one. I almost laughed out loud. I ended up chuckling and said something like "got ya".
I got up and walked to the window and tapped it myself. It sounded exactly the same. I then went to the living area and started tapping on the floor until I found the general area that the sound first originated. There were different tones depending on how close one came to some of the furniture.
Thanks for reading! Mean it
-Mike Neal